Faith: Wise Risk
It would be wonderful if everyone knew how to find real happiness, glory, and relationships by believing in the same God Jesus did.
However, believing in God is not learning a fact, such as:
- 2 + 2 = 4
- Grass is green
- I prefer berry pie to chocolate cake
Worship: He’s Worth It
The whole point of becoming a Christian is to know and love God, ourselves, and others the way Jesus did. But what exactly is love?
We use the word “love” whenever we strongly desire or value something. But there are three very different kinds of love:
- Happiness: because it what we want and makes us feel good
- Glory: because it helps us become or be known as our best
- Relationship: because we feel or want to be connected to it
Holiness: Open to God
Lots of people admire Jesus. Even those who aren’t Christians often consider him a model for how human beings should treat each other.
Last time we talked about skills that help us become more like Jesus. So why doesn’t everyone practice those skills? Why do we ourselves often do the opposite of what Jesus wants us to do?
Because we have a wound in our spirit.
Discipleship: Make Us Like Jesus
As we mentioned last time, the whole point of being a Christian is to become like Jesus: knowing God and loving others the way He did. In fact, the very word “Christian” means “little Christ.” We are supposed to be pictures of Jesus Christ, the way Jesus is a picture of God the Father.
So how do we get there?
The Gospel: God Loves Us Like Jesus
You are an amazing person. You have a lot in common with other people, but there is nobody quite like you.
- You have a body. Head, fingers, toes, belly button.
- You have a soul. You think. You feel. You want.
- You have a spirit. You can reflect on your thoughts, feelings, and desires. You can decided what kind of person you want to be.
God is amazing. We are like God, but God is not like us.
- Our whole universe — including us! — is like a small part of God’s body.
- He knows everything that happens to us. He feels everything we feel. He wants us to know Him, and enjoy the life He give us..
- He has a Spirit that our spirits can talk to, and hear from.
Thank you for choosing us to be your children.
Remind us our identity is in you; and not what we have, want or do.
Please heal our triggers, and teach us to not trigger others,
So we can freely enjoy and boldly share your love.
We ask this in Jesus name, Amen
John 1:12 (MSG)
But whoever did want him,
who believed he was who he claimed
and would do what he said,
He made to be their true selves,
their child-of-God selves.
Ephesians 1:4-5 (MSG)
Long before he laid down earth’s foundations, he had us in mind, had settled on us as the focus of his love, to be made whole and holy by his love.
Long, long ago he decided to adopt us into his family through Jesus Christ. (What pleasure he took in planning this!) He wanted us to enter into the celebration of his lavish gift-giving by the hand of his beloved Son.