What if we as Christians redefined our current understanding of “holiness” to match what God intended in Genesis, and Christ demonstrated in the gospels?Continue reading
TGR Friends, we have discussed how the Christian Church is often the worse example of demonstrating the love of Jesus Christ. This article is an opinion piece that echoes that sentiment and offers some interesting insight to why Christians may be making more atheists than disciples.
For this week’s episode, we wrap up Season 5 of The Great Reset by attempting to address questions from last week using an updated Challenge Question, plus a more explicit leadership structure.
What must we do better for the Body of Christ to more effectively make disciples of our cities, and all nations?
And, how can we know we are on the right track?
Perspectives: Google Doc of Core ConcernsContinue reading
This week on The Great Reset, Ernie argues that his apparent incompetence and immaturity is actually part of a brilliant plan to demonstrate the need for more Christ-like models of authority.
In this document, Ernie:
- Claims the authority structures he grew up with were built around the Law
- Acknowledges that they were (and are) necessary
- Believes those same structures hinder us from becoming mature in Christ
- Redefines The Great Reset in terms of searching for more robust authority structures built around Grace,
- Hopes that Season 5 shows us what that should look like
- Welcomes pointers, examples, suggestions, and corrections
- Apologizes to anyone he has confused, misled, or offended along the way
Draft 1, 14 Nov 2020Continue reading
As followers of Jesus, we invite you to learn along with us every Tuesday at 1 PM on The Great Reset as we practice loving more like Jesus.
Question: What should we focus on when something hurtful has happened?
Perspective: Answering the question, “What do each of us need so all of us can handle it better next time?”Continue reading
Question: Should we be focused on obeying Jesus or abiding in Him?
Perspective: That’s the wrong question. We need to learn the obedience that springs from abiding in Him, as well as the abiding that bears fruit in obedience.Continue reading
Right now, most churches devote at least six-sevenths of their budget, staff, and attention to what happens on Sundays, and at most one-seventh to helping the congregation follow Jesus the other six days.
Can you imagine what we might accomplish if we flipped that on its head, and invested 85% of our treasure into the rest of the week?
Draft 1, 29 Oct 2020, The Great Reset
- John 13:34 A new commandment I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so also you must love one another.
- Galatians 6:1 Brothers, if someone is caught in a trespass, you who are spiritual should restore him with a spirit of gentleness. But watch yourself, or you also may be tempted.
- Whenever you need help with (1) or (2), just ask.
- If you see someone struggling with (1) or (2), offer to help.
Question: How can we all get better at obeying Scripture, instead of just discussing it?
Perspective: By making time to listen to, document & review what our hearts, the Holy Spirit & each other are saying about His words and ours.Continue reading
This week on The Great Reset, we invite you to learn along with us as we try out a new practice of being cooperatively taught by God.
Question: How do we shift from intellectually studying God’s word to humbly obeying it?
Perspective: By submitting ourselves to be Discipled By Scripture together to Love More Like Jesus (“LMLJ”)Continue reading
Question: How can we develop the trust needed to co-disciple each other’s hearts to follow Jesus?
Perspective: Via the practice of sharing, understanding, and refining one another’s most important values.Continue reading
Purpose of The Great Reset (Draft)
- We are a community of Jesus-lovers who
- Come together to learn how to
- Love more like Jesus, and
- Invite you to learn along with us
- I like… (what furthered that purpose)
- I wonder… (what could help us do better)
This week on the Biastes we will be attempting a “FishBowl Dialogue” between Ernie P. and David J. This blog post is Ernie’s attempt to organize his thoughts in advance, based on his current best guess about David’s underlying Concern. Tune in next Tuesday 9/29/2020 to find out what actually happens!
Question: What exactly is Ernie trying to accomplish with The Great Reset?
Perspective: Show the Body of Christ how to empower disciples of Jesus to keep growing closer to Him — rather than us.
See also: David and Ernie’s follow-up video.Continue reading
Thought for the Week “We are intensely attached,” Matthew Kelly observes, “to being perceived in a positive light, even by people we don’t know and …A Different Kind of Mask
This week on The Great Reset we discuss the proposal for FishBowl Dialogues (FBD), a game for cultivating constructive relational practices.
Question: How can we all get better at loving everyone the way Jesus does?
Perspective: By publicly playing a game where we practice, observe, and learn the relevant skills.Continue reading
Question: How do we shift the focus of the Body of Christ from “getting fed” to “getting fit” (to represent Jesus)?Continue reading
Question: How can we all get better at actually loving each other the way Jesus does?
- Use public roleplaying to
- deliberately practice specific techniques
- that simultaneously build autonomy, authenticity, and empathy
- Question: What would it take to focus the whole Body of Christ on fulfilling His Commission and Commandments, by prioritizing the discipling of all peoples into loving as Jesus does?
- Perspective: A decentralized network of self-replicating Christ-Centered Chat Circles
How should members of Christ’s Body best relate to internal and external human authorities and institutions, in order to continually increase God’s Kingdom?Continue reading