This week on The Great Reset we discuss the proposal for FishBowl Dialogues (FBD), a game for cultivating constructive relational practices.
Question: How can we all get better at loving everyone the way Jesus does?
Perspective: By publicly playing a game where we practice, observe, and learn the relevant skills.
The FBD Format, Draft 2
- Seeker: Has a Concern. Wants to have that Concern addressed.
- Helper: Has some connection to the Concern. Wants the Seeker to feel heard and valued.
- Observers: Have a Rubric of useful practices. Want to recognize which practices the Seeker and Helper are, or should be, using.
- Coach: Has a deep understanding of constructive relational practices. Wants to help Observers learn which practices are useful in which contexts. Owns the Rubric.
- Referee: Has a Schedule and list of Roles. Wants everyone to fulfill their desires within those boundaries so that we all learn and have fun together.
Play takes place in a series of Rounds. Each Round has two equal parts:
- The Seeker and Helper (together, the “Fish”) discuss the Concern
- The Seeker goes first, then they take natural conversational turns (with help from the Referee, as needed
- The Referee keeps time, and can step in if the conversation becomes unbalanced.
- The Observers do not speak, but should post their notes in the chat for each other to riff on.
- The Observers publicly discuss the Scene, attempting to identify the most effective (“I like”) or potentially helpful (“I wonder”) practices, as well insights into the Concern
- The Coach provides feedback and guidance to the Observers
- The Fish do not speak, but should reflect on the Observers discussion in the chat
- 6m: Introduction
- 2m: Referee explains the Schedule and Roles
- 4m: Coach explains Rubric to Observers
- 25m: Rounds
- 5m: Conversation 1 (Fish)
- 5m: Reflection 1 (Observers)
- 5m: Conversation 2 (Fish)
- 5m: Reflection 2 (Observers)
- 5m: Conversation 3 (Fish)
- 9m: Conclusion
- 3m: Summary Reflection (Observers)
- 3m: Summarize & Rate Conversation Effectiveness (Coach/Referee)
- 3m: Response to Summaries (Fish)
- 10m: Retrospective
- Everyone reviews their experience with this Format
- Use “I like” and “I wonder”