Discipling By Jesus aims to become an:
of people who practice denying themselves, taking up their cross, and follow Jesus.
I was deeply inspired by Jessie (with an ‘e’) Cruickshank and her vision of “unwinding” a couple millennia of bad habits in order to recover authentic discipleship, after it was:
- Professionalized by Constantine
- Intellectualized by the Enlightenment
- Sermonized by Calvin
- Individualized by Americans
The positive alternative is a discipling movement built around being:
- Amateur: people fueled by passion, not qualifications; whose career and livelihood is not dependent on their discipleship conforming to institutional norms.
- Experiential: holistically encountering Jesus through His Word & Spirit, Body & Blood; including our heart, soul & strength, not just our mind.
- Curious: constantly seeking to ask better questions rather than merely be told the right answers
- Networked: aggregated into overlapping communities of practice, focused on different locales, problems, and skills