We continue this Season’s focus on The Great Reset of Education at Tuesday 6/9, 1 PM Pacific. In particular, we are wrestling with hard questions of justice and repentance in light of the recent killing of George Floyd.
Question: How do we teach people where they need to repent?
- What should followers of Jesus condemn?
- What would that require us to tolerate?
- Judging others from a position of Power
- Judging behavior from a position of Authority
- Judging ourselves from a position of Vulnerability
Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.Matthew 7:1-2
God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him.John 3:17
Then if my people, on whom my name is called, should repent, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their evil ways, I also will hear from heaven, and I will be merciful to their sins, and I will heal their land.2 Chronicles 7:14
Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.Matthew 7:3-5
Cf. The Great Reversal (poem)
Police Reform References
- NY Times: a look at police departments that have made changes
- Twitter Thread: research-based solutions to police violence