by Philip John, Chennai, India
We thank you for the food we eat;
We thank you for the birds that sing;
We thank you God for everything.
God is no different in this aspect. He appreciates people who thank Him. In Luke 17:11-19 we see Jesus’ reaction when one out of ten lepers came back to offer his thanks. Jesus connected it to the leper’s faith!
11 Now on his way to Jerusalem, Jesus traveled along the border between Samaria and Galilee. 12 As he was going into a village, ten men who had leprosy met him. They stood at a distance 13 and called out in a loud voice, “Jesus, Master, have pity on us!” 14 When he saw them, he said, *Go, show yourselves to the priests.? And as they went, they were cleansed.15 One of them, when he saw he was healed, came back, praising God in a loud voice. 16 He threw himself at Jesus’ feet and thanked him?and he was a Samaritan. 17 Jesus asked, *Were not all ten cleansed? Where are the other nine? 18 Was no one found to return and give praise to God except this foreigner?? 19 Then he said to him, *Rise and go; your faith has made you well.? (Luke 17:11-19)
26 The LORD said to Moses and Aaron: 27 *How long will this wicked community grumble against me? I have heard the complaints of these grumbling Israelites. 28 So tell them, ‘As surely as I live, declares the LORD, I will do to you the very things I heard you say
King David offered thanks day and night. Many of the Psalms he wrote starts with:
To conclude these are the things we need to remember:
- Grumbling is a natural behavior while giving thanks has to be cultivated. (It is important to teach children to say ‘thank you’, ‘please’ and ‘sorry’)
- Everything that happens may not be wonderful but it can be turned around for good! And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. — Romans 8:28
- Thank God in the midst of adversity. Your problems are molding you into a better person. So don’t be tempted to give up.
- Genuine gratitude is spontaneous, not forced. Yet spontaneity comes more easily to a disciplined heart. Which means – thank God even when you don’t feel like it.
- A prayer of thanksgiving changes the atmosphere and expressing gratitude influences others.
- The motive for giving thanks is not to manipulate God but to express your trust in Him.