Based on everything I have learned over the last several years, here is my current practice for how to confront someone I love that I am concerned about.
It reflects many painful learnings about what I have found to be counterproductive, but I am sure there is still room for improvement. Let me know your thoughts!
Dedicated to my Father.
- God is in control.
- We are absolutely on track for the future He has for us and our loved ones.
- How quickly and thoroughly we yield to Him determines how fast and painful it will be to reach that future
ASK Better Questions
a) What in Ernie needs to change?
b) What in me needs to change?
- Set a time to seek the Holy Spirit for answers
- Write down whatever you hear
- Present it to me as “This is what I think I heard,”
- Not “This is what I think you should do.”
This is quite likely the most foolish and arrogant story I have ever attempted: trying to improve upon how Jesus responded to Peter’s rebuke.
Nevertheless, if I am to take Him at His word that we will do greater things than He did, I have to start somewhere…