There are many types of prayer, for many reasons and occasions. This is my current preferred practice for “prevailing” prayer — when I am not ready to take no for an answer.
- Identify an area where I am desperate to see God’s Kingdom come.
- Assume the primary obstacle to God’s will being done is sin (aka abjection: mine and others).
- Seek to reverse that sin by asking God to bring His grace into a situation.
- Pray with authority based on the grace I’ve already received from my sins.
- If my prayers aren’t working, I’m either asking the wrong thing, or still lacking in the appropriate grace.
- Therefore, I ask God for grace to see: either what else I should be praying for, or where I must repent to unlock more grace.
- Repeat until God clearly tells me to wait, stop, or do something else.